top of page


Q: How long does a divorce take?
A. In the State of Ohio a divorce can take a maximum of one year if you do not have children, and eighteen (18) months if you have minor children. There are certain situations where these cases can take longer but this is a general guideline. Many cases are resolved prior to that time.  

Q: How much does it cost to get a divorce?
A. Each case is unique the time depends on varying situation. These issues can be evaluated at your free initial consultation.  

Q: Where can I file my case? 
A. You must be a resident of the State of Ohio for six (6) months and a residence of a Ohio County for ninety (90) days to file in that specific county.  

Q: When is my divorce final?
A. Your divorce or dissolution is final when it is signed by the Judge in the Domestic Relations Court.

Q: Is my case in Domestic Relations Court or Juvenile Court?
A. Each county has a Domestic Relations Court and a Juvenile Court. If you are married and you want to terminate your marriage, you must file in Domestic Relations Court. If you are not married and you have children with a partner, then you need to file in Juvenile Court.  

Q: What is the difference between Shared Parenting and Sole Custody?
A. Shared Parenting is also known as Joint Custody. Shared Parenting does not have any relation to how much time the children spend with each parent, rather it means that the parents have to make decisions jointly on issues relating to education, medical, activities, and religion. Sole Custody means that only one parents has the right to make those decisions.


Divorce Tips:  

  • Start collecting relevant documents. This includes but is not limited to bank statements, tax returns, credit card statements, documentation of any debts, school report cards, and retirement account statements.  

  • Do not post personal information on social media.  

  • Change the passwords on your personal accounts. 

  • Start thinking about your future living expenses.  

  • Do not bad mouth your spouse to your children. 

  • Hire an experienced attorney. 

  • Keep your attorney informed of any issues that arise during your case.  


Success! Message received.

bottom of page